Saturday, April 17, 2010

Consume Less

There have been debates about what is better for the environment on a number of different topics.  Paper bags or plastic, washing dishes by hand or in the dishwasher, cloth napkins or paper napkins, traditional incandescent light bulbs vs. compact florescent light-bulbs (cfls)? Among a host of others.  Even the benefits of renewable energy sources such as wind and tidal have been weighed against the damage they may do to animals or other delicate ecosystems.

There are assumptions I make when I do something I feel is good for the environment that I cannot prove or disprove with the amount and quality of data that I have available to me.  The more research I do about the issues at hand the more confused I become.  So I say we stop debating about what is better for the environment and start doing the one thing that is definitely better for the environment:

Consume less.

While other methods of reducing our carbon foot print may have side effects that are just as bad, and in some cases worse than where we started, reducing consumption has no negative side effects on the environment.

Keep yours out for future post about how I have and will reduce my consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment