Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Free Breakfast

I read a Time magazine article this morning about the Amish and their work habits and ethics.  The part I found interesting was the part about a builder that Erik Wesner interviewed in his book Success Made Simple: An Inside Look at Why Amish Businesses Thrive *.  Turn over is a problem in the construction industry but this builder solved that problem in part by take his 18 employees out for breakfast occasionally, while they are ON THE CLOCK! This has helped him keep his employees on average for 9 years.

This is another great example of how a company can spend a little to keep their employees happy.  The amount or money and time he saves in training new hires and getting them up to speed will almost certainly pay for those breakfasts.  Not to mention that when you dine with your employees you learn about them, connect with them and you may even hear about some work related issue that would never come up in a meeting.

Maybe my boss will read this and take me out for breakfast....wink wink, hint hint.

* I haven't actually read this book yet but after reading the Time article I am adding it my list of must reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment